Lahneck Castle was built in 1226 by the Archbishop of Mainz Siegfried

III of Eppstein
to protect his territory at the mouth of the Lahn, where

the town of Oberlahnstein and a silver mine had come into the

possession of the Archbishopric in 1220.

Grabdenkmal_Erzbischof_Siegfried_IIIkl
Siegfried III of Eppstein

 

 

The castle chapel, dedicated to Saint Ulrich of Augsburg, was built in

1245, in the same year the first Burggraf took up resdence in the castle.

Heiliger_Ulrich2
Saint Ulrich of Augsburg

 

 

In 1298, King Adolf of Nassau was a guest at the castle, shortly before

his death in the Battle of Göllheim against King Albert I of Habsburg.

In order to avenge him, the Burggraf of Lahneck, Friedrich Schilling of

Lahnstein, participated in a conspiracy against Albert.

The castle was stormed in 1309 and Friedrich Schilling was executed.

Tod_Adolf_von_Nassau
Battle of Göllheim

 

 

According to legend, when the Knights Templar were ordered by

Pope Clement V to disband in 1312, the last 12 Templars took refuge

in the castle, where they perished in a heroic fight to the death with

forces of Mainz Archbishop Peter of Aspelt.

PopeClementV.jpg
  Pope Clement V

 

 

In 1332, Pope John XXII granted a 40-day indulgence to those

attending services in the castle chapel.
 

John23
  Pope John XXII

 

 

On June 4, 1400, King Wenceslaus of Germany was deposed by the

four Rhenish Prince-electors in Oberlahnstein. Together with the Prince

Elector of Mainz, Burggraf Friedrich of Nuremberg hosted many of many

delegates sent by the cities at the castle. In Rhens, the following day,

Rupert, Count Palatine of the Rhine, was elected the new "King of the

Romans".

Wenzeslaus1
King Wenceslaus

 

 

In 1475, Mainz Archbishop Theodoric of Isenburg-Büdingen had the

castle strengthened with two outer walls following the Mainz Bishops

Feud with his rival archbishop, Adolph II of Nassau.
 

DietherVonIsenburg
Diethers coat of arms

 

 

In 1633, during the Thirty Years War, the castle was heavily damaged

by Swedish and Imperial troops.

Jacques_callot_miseres_guerre1
Thirty Years War

 

 

On July 18, 1774, Johann Wolfgang von Goethe wrote the poem

Geistesgruß. It was inspired by the sight of Lahneck Castle during his

travels along the Lahn River.

GoethePort
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

 

 

In the German Mediatisation of 1803, in which the Archbishopric of Mainz

lost its secular territories, Lahneck Castle was granted to the Duchy of

Nassau. In 1850 it was sold and has remained in private ownership since.

Edward Moriarty, a Director of the Rhenish Railway Company, became one

of its first owners. During the ownership of Earl Kleist-Tychow a more than

life-sized portrait of Queen Victoria was presented which can still be seen at

the castle. Imperial Admiral Robert Mischke, later commander of armoured

cruiser "von der Tann", purchased the castle in 1909 and it has been

owned by his family ever since.

MK-Mischke1kl6